Functional medicine focuses on uncovering and healing the root causes of disease. In traditional Western medicine, we’re often just treating the symptoms, unfortunately. This can help on one level. For example, if you take a medication for rheumatoid arthritis–a condition in which the body’s immune system is overactive and is attacking the joints–it will work to suppress the immune system. But it doesn’t heal the problem that caused the immune system to flare up in the first place.
The truth is, these root causes are often related to our modern lifestyles, characterized by unhealthy food, too much stress, not enough sleep, and other issues that cause chronic inflammation in the body. These can manifest in conditions like leaky gut syndrome, insulin resistance, and extra weight, which perpetuate the cycle and continue to make things worse.
We can use the principles of functional medicine to reverse the cycle and help you become truly well, not just getting by.
Conditions that are particularly suited to a functional medicine approach include:
– Autoimmune conditions, such as thyroid disorders (Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism, Graves’ disease), rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, sarcoidosis, eczema, psoriasis, lupus, ulcerative colitis/Crohn’s disease
– Chronic GI dysfunction, like IBS and SIBO
– Obesity or overweight
– Type 2 Diabetes
Many people have abnormal thyroid function and don’t know it – even if they’ve had their doctor check it on a blood test. This is because oftentimes, the evaluation is not thorough. Primary care providers will usually check 1 or 2 thyroid tests if they suspect a problem, but unfortunately, this doesn’t tell the whole story. In reality, multiple lab tests are necessary to ensure your thyroid is functioning optimally. We will do a full thyroid panel to ensure proper functioning and thyroid hormone balance, as well as test for autoimmune disease of the thyroid – the most common cause of hypo- or hyperthyroidism.
Even people who know they have thyroid issues and take medication for it often are not properly treated. If you’re being treated for thyroid dysfunction and still have any of the below symptoms (or never had a full workup), it’s definitely worth a closer look.
Excessive energy or nervousness
Often feeling cold or hot
Difficulty losing weight
Unintentional weight loss
Rough skin or hair
Depression or sadness
Aches & pains
Puffy eyes, face, hands or feet
Low blood pressure
– Full thyroid and general wellness evaluation, including a comprehensive blood test that will look at various thyroid hormones and other factors that affect thyroid function and your overall health
– In-depth consultation and lab interpretation with Cora Reynolds, NP, plus 3 follow-up visits
– Follow-up thyroid lab panel after a few months of treatment
– Prescriptions for thyroid medications and supplements, if needed (price does not include cost of medication/ supplements, which may be covered by your insurance)
– Recommendations and coaching related to lifestyle, especially food, sleep, and stress
– Meal plan, including shopping list, recipes, and tons of useful information to help you optimize your thyroid function, maintain a healthy weight, and feel great!
– Direct access to Cora via phone, text, or email for questions any time
Optimizing your thyroid function is essential to being healthy and feeling good. Once it’s in balance, you’ll be amazed at how much better you feel. Call today or schedule your free 15-minute phone consultation to learn more.
Ready to get started? Call or email us to schedule your lab appointment and initial consultation!
Send us your info, and we’ll contact you ASAP to set up your next step.